A family of four is going to the doctor after contracting a rare virus that can lead to death in just a few days.

A couple of months ago, a young family of three in Texas was diagnosed with the coronavirus and was given an experimental vaccine.

They were all in good spirits, but on July 21, one of them became ill.

His mother called 911, but it was too late.

His father and sister died, too.

It’s the kind of case where there’s no vaccine, no treatment.

But when the parents get a call from the ER, it can’t get any worse.

“You can’t just say, ‘Oh, we have a couple of days to go.

We’ll go,'” said Dr. Eric Eiseman, who treats these patients in Dallas.”

The virus has the potential to kill a person in a matter of hours, and that’s a pretty big risk,” said Dr, Eric Eiseeman, a pediatric infectious disease specialist.

“That’s a very big risk for a lot of these children.”

It’s a huge risk that is being overlooked,” he said.

And, the doctors at the ER don’t even know what the patient was vaccinated against.

It’s a mystery.

And even the hospital where the patient is being treated says it’s too early to tell if he’s infected.”

We’ve had a lot more calls in the past couple of weeks than we’d like, because people are really excited about getting a vaccine,” said Eismann.”

A lot of the calls are from parents that were worried about what they would be seeing in the ER,” said David Lacy, chief of infectious diseases at Baylor College of Medicine.”

There’s no way to really determine what the severity of the virus is or how many days are left,” he added.

In the meantime, the parents are getting help from family and friends to help them cope.

The hospital says they can stay in their home for the time being.

But some of them are leaving.

A few weeks ago, Dr. Eisman and his colleagues gave them a shot.

It worked.

The patient is now healthy and they’re on their way to the hospital.

This story is a partnership with CBS Local.

For more local news, visit CBS Local on Facebook and Twitter.